Thursday, January 18, 2024

Old Fartism, Shedding Skin, and Forward Leaning

 It appears that almost seven years has passed since I last posted on this blog and it occurred to me that it might be the right time to begin again as I remember the joy I experienced in the past as I recorded my thoughts, dreams, and experiences. 

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned to have the life that is waiting for us.

The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come."

Joseph Campbell

Campbell's words have served as a challenge and guide to me ever since I retired from full time ministerial work in 2007 and pursued a less demanding schedule as I explored various part time endeavors that continued to challenge and us my experience and skills. Around 2017 I stepped further away from that old life and began to limit my ministry activities to accepting the occasional invitation to lead worship and preach.

In an effort to "lean in" to the life that is "waiting" for me I am open to new experiences and learnings while keeping one foot grounded in the principles and faith that shaped me in the first three quarters of life. I will reach the age of 79 in March and I have adopted the following as a daily prayer.

Most Holy God, as I race along toward my finish line, instill in me a sense of gratitude that I might end my race with peace, love, joy, and celebration. Amen

One of the challenges for me is to slow down the "race toward the finish line". To breath, to look, to let go.

"Old fartism and old talk and speaking poorly of my life are the dangers. Unexamined, old ideas lead to the first death, that of the mind."

Jon Katz Blog entry in Bedlam Farm blog 1/17/24


No comments: