Saturday, September 19, 2009

Autumn Prelude

The calendar tells me that Autumn is still two days away yet the signs are all around me. The leaves are beginning to change and tonight will be in the 30's. The acorn squash and the green and red peppers hang heavy in the garden. I've started digging carrots. Orange and plump and sweet to the taste.
The seasonal change nudges me to change my approach to this blog. To write more often. Thank you to those who have said they've missed it. In the midst of a busy summer it has been low on my priorities.
I heard some fellas talking the other day about approaching retirement and their fear that they would be bored. I can honestly say that I haven't once experienced boredom since retirement. My life is rich with family and challenging experiences.
I am thankful for that. Worked at the Habitat Build this week. Will preach tomorrow. Renovating John's TV room upstairs. New carpet, new paint, new futon, and new TV. John calls it his "man cave". Celebrated John's 23rd birthday on Thursday. Family gathered at Friendly's for supper and ice cream. Earlier in the day we played mini-golf and bowled. John smiled all day. Have spent many hours searching on the Internet for a place to rent in Florida this winter as our earlier plans fell through. Late Thursday evening I found the perfect place for us. And it is available the month of March. It has a separate bedroom and bath for John that will be large enough to accommodate his keyboard. The house is in a region of Florida that we have not yet explored. We are looking forward to the adventure.
That's the key I think. Always have something to look forward to. Family times, challenging work, projects at the house, trips both large and small. Tomorrow we will pray a prayer I found; "Supreme Artist, we praise you for Autumn, a season of humbling and liberating beauty, the grand finale of the year."

1 comment:

Clinton said...

Pretty effective piece of writing, thanks for the post.
nursing schools | phone service providers | cheapest internet and cable packages